[AccessD] OT - SQL Server transaction log size

Brett Barabash BBarabash at TappeConstruction.com
Wed Feb 4 10:47:32 CST 2004

Forgive me for not posting this to the other list.  However, my hunch is
that there are many like myself who only subscribe to AccessD.

For those of you in charge of the care & feeding of your SQL Server
databases, how are you managing the transaction log file size?  We have a
very active system that has generated log files in excess of 6 GB (even
bigger than the data file!).

We have a weekly shrink database job that runs on data and log files, but my
impression was that it just rearranges fragmented data and truncates unused
pages.  Is this correct?

In Enterprise Manager, if I select the Restrict file growth option, will it
automatically truncate old entries, or does it act like SS 6.5 and halt all
new transactions until the log file is dumped?

Ideally, we would like to retain any transactions that occured between
nightly backups.  Are there any utilities that can assist in this?  If not,
what is an appropriate log file size for a 5 GB database?

The reluctant dba,

Brett Barabash, MCP
Tappe Construction, Co.
Eagan, MN
bbarabash at tappeconstruction.com
(651) 256-6831

"One thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a
cardboard box and sit in a warehouse."  -Jack Handey

they are addressed.
originator of the message. This footer also confirms that this
email message has been scanned for the presence of computer viruses.

states them to be the views of Tappe Construction Co.

Scanning of this message and addition of this footer is performed
by SurfControl E-mail Filter software in conjunction with
virus detection software.