[AccessD] forced logout

John W. Colby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue Feb 10 16:01:34 CST 2004

I am almost finished with a class and a table to allow me to force a logout
of my users from  the db.  In fact it is all working now, the only remaining
question is "when do I let them back in".

Is anyone else doing this?  What is your answer?  My tendency is "keep
logged out between ThisTime and ThatTime", i.e. add a second time field to
the table that is the time to allow back in.

Anyone?

My current system uses:

usysTblShutdown:

SD_ID		- autonumber PK
SD_Name	- Shutdown name
SD_Time	- Time to shutdown
SD_Enabled	- THIS shutdown is enabled
SD_Warnings	- The number of warnings to display before forcing a shutdown
SD_WarningTime	- the number of seconds between warnings

I have a form that my framework opens that initializes the framework, and
shuts it back down if the form tries to close.  Thus enabling a clean
shutdown regardless of anything other than perhaps a power failure.

I then use the timer for this form to call a method in my class which checks
whether to do the shutdown.  The class raises an event with every warning to
the user in case your app needs warning that a shutdown is imminent.  The
class also raises an event when it is finally time to actually do the
shutdown.

I will publish the whole in a demo database as soon as I handle the issue of
when to allow them back in.  All opinions welcomed then summarily dismissed.

;-)