[AccessD] was SQL Server queries - appending strings

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Sun Feb 1 05:54:31 CST 2004

Hi Stuart

>> > What are my options here?  Do I have any?
>>
>> An alternative to the other suggestions - which very quickly will turn
>> your job into a major project - you can connect to the server via
>> ODBC. Not fancy neither sexy and lacking "MS coolness", I know, but it
>> works; your efforts will minimize to moving only the tables to SQL
>> Server and walking through your code adding some dBSeeChanges ...
>>
> But that doesn't solve the original problem of trying to avoid
> pulling a large recordset from joined tables and filtering locally
> :-(

That's right - but there is a big difference between an app that is
not working and an app that works pretty much the same as before even
though the backend has moved from Jet to SQL Server. A working app
leaves you in peace from an impatient client out of business, freeing
you to proceed with optimization work (stored procedures, views, pass
through queries etc.) at your own speed.

It all depends. If John's client picked SQL Server to force an ADP
from John, ODBC is of course no solution.

/gustav