[AccessD] was SQL Server queries - appending strings

Martin Reid mwp.reid at qub.ac.uk
Sun Feb 1 11:35:56 CST 2004

John

Tha main drawback you face moving to SQL Server is your use of the
framework. Continued reliance of this tool will place you at a disadvantage
when working with for example an ADP file.

Of course you could consider over time rewriting the tool for use with SQL
Server.

Moving to an SQL Server backend generally gives you a few options

Use ODBC and stay with DAO
Rewrite from DAO to ADO using OLEDB
Use an ADP
USee Pass Through

etc etc

You could also consider bring the data local on login , work with it local
and then update the server with changes.

I am currently working on rewriting a complex app from DAO to ADO. Taking a
lot longer than I assumed but almost done now.

The licence issue is OK. Usually licenced on a per processor basis now so
connections dont matter.

The framework you use is I assume dictating the path you can take??

Martin