[AccessD] Re: A2K2 - Report Grouping - Page Numbering

Robert L. Stewart rl_stewart at highstream.net
Tue Feb 3 15:09:44 CST 2004

Mark,

I have been working with Access since 1.0 and have never done or had a
request for something like you are wanting to do.  But, here is an outline
of what you are going to have to do.

You cannot use the Access pages numbers for any thing except to see if you
are on a different one.

You will have to collect the surrogate page number that you want to start
with.  I would suggest a form to gather all of this.

In the page footer, you will have to set a variable to the current page
number.

In the page header, you will have to check to see if it is different from
the one in the page footer variable.

If it is, then you should use the asc() function to increment and the
char() function to return the next surrogate page i.e. 5A.

If the grouping puts things on different real pages, then you would
increment the numeric portion of your surrogate page number in the group
header/footer the same way you did for the Alpha portion of the surrogate
page number.

I am going to take a leap here and say that it is my guess that you do not
know how to code in VBA.  So what you are going to have to do is find
someone on list willing to write it for you based on the description above.

Robert