[AccessD] OT - SQL Server transaction log size

Brett Barabash BBarabash at TappeConstruction.com
Wed Feb 4 16:15:40 CST 2004

Thanks Debbie,
One thing confuses me, though:

>From what I've seen, it looks like when you issue a BACKUP LOG statement in
SQL, it automatically truncates the log (which is why there is a NO_TRUNCATE
option available).  However, our DB Maintenance plan that backs up the log
file doesn't seem to truncate it.  There isn't even a truncate option.

I was thinking about adding a step to the job, to execute a BACKUP LOG WITH
TRUNCATE_ONLY command, followed by a DBCC_SHRINKFILE command to truncate the
log and reclaim unused space.  Am I going about this the right way?

Thanks again for all your help.
Brett

-----Original Message-----
From: Elam, Debbie [mailto:DElam at jenkens.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 04, 2004 11:21 AM
To: 'Access Developers discussion and problem solving'
Subject: RE: [AccessD] OT - SQL Server transaction log size

We do incremental backups several times during the day.  After these backups
we truncate the log.  The log actually gets erased during truncation.  It is
a temporary storage spot only.  Once the backup is complete, the log is
superfluous.  Time your backups based on how small you want your log file to
stay.  Once a week is not sufficient for the type of activity you see.  At
least once a day is what I would run.  We run four times a day as a default.
Once a week is probably better for full backups.

Debbie