[AccessD] Next Version of Access 12 Musings on what might ha ppen (RANT)

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Wed Feb 11 03:52:55 CST 2004

Hi Bruce

> I agree that Access does, and always has, run like a dog across a network.

Given a high-quality network and server, this is indeed not our
experience.

> It is also sensitive to unstable networks.  I repeat - has and always has.
> Now has M$ ever adequately addressed that?  Not within the Access model.

We have only seen problems in the days of Win3.11 peer-to-peer
networks, malfunctioning NICs and old RealTek drivers, low-cost
dubious whitebox machines, and coax cables. Still peer-to-peer
networks may cause troubles; using a true server and a fast and
reliable network and brand name worksstations with WinNT+ causes close
to zero issues.

/gustav