[AccessD] Pass-Through Query

O'Connor, Patricia Patricia.O'Connor at DFA.STATE.NY.US
Fri Feb 20 10:05:19 CST 2004

Mark,

I use passthru queries quite a bit. The major thing is that is does the work
on the server side in the native language. We have oracle databases that are
huge. I can write sql in native oracle which has options not available in
Access.  Create temporary tables on the server side (if you have permission)
to use in other queries without having to transport the data back and forth
over line. I can write more complex queries and control them better. Access
has a tendency to make assumptions that you don't expect, by using passthru
you have a bit more control over what you want.
example 1: using multiple fields in a subquery In
			select x, y, z
			from A
			where (e, f, g) in (select e, f, g from H)
example 2: use another query as if it were a table without having to run 2
access queries bringing the data from the 1st query back over the line to do
the 2nd query
			select a.x, a.y, h.e, h.f
			from A,
			(select e, f, g from D where .....) H