[AccessD] Array dimensions, Row - Col or Col Row

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Sun Feb 22 14:37:15 CST 2004

Generally in mathematical matrix notation for a Matrix  M i,j   i is the
row and j is the column, However in computers Arrays are either broken
down as column major or row major. Meaning what part of the Array is
stored contiguously in memory. Those who wish to consider a 2-D numeric
array as an analogue for a
matrix consider column-major (columns stored contiguously) to be more
"natural," since the mathematical convention is to divide matrices into
"column vectors."  When linear systems, linear eigensystems, or other
linear-algebra-based disciplines are discussed in the mechanical
engineering, electrical
engineering, physics, and mathmatical literature , it is far more common
to speak of "column vectors" than "row vectors".
All programs that manipulate matrices take advantage of one particular
memory layout.  If you ignore it, you'll suffer a huge performance hit.
In Fortran the memory layout for arrays is column-major. Fortran orders
things the way the mathematical literature has made us accustomed to
seeing them.
I am not sure which is contiguous in memory  in VBA. rows or columns. I
would have to fiddle around to find out.

If I remember right APL treats an ordinary vector as either a column
vector or row vector depending on use or context.

However:
Compilers don't know anything about rows or columns. Most C and C++
compilers store two dimensional arrays
in exactly the same way that Fortran compilers store them. The only
difference is that C array subscripts appear
in reverse order from Fortran array subscripts. The problem is that both
C and Fortran programmers
associate the left and right subscripts of a two dimensional array with
the row and column indices respectively.
Fortran programmers tend to think of two dimensional arrays as
collections of column vectors so they naturally think of
one dimensional arrays as column vectors.  C programmers,on the other
hand, tend to think of two dimensional arrays
as collections of row vectors so they naturally think of one dimensional
arrays as row vectors.
This screws you up calling C routines from Fortran because you have to
generally transpose the matrix or array.

To further mess up things, Some Fortran compilers have an option to take
care of the following:
 For the inner loop of a matrix-matrix product
Most RISC machines like DOT (dot-product) operation best, but some
vector-instruction machines like the
AXPY(constant-times-a-vector-plus-a-vector) best.

This can be a real bag of worms!

--
Marty Connelly
Victoria, B.C.