[AccessD] Access v2 on XP Find First

Mike Tope mike.tope at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Jan 13 17:52:05 CST 2004

Dear All

I believe there are people on this list who persevere with Access 2 - I've
hit a little snagette and wonder if anyone else has ?

In Windows XP with Office XP installed, the user is running Access 2 from a
file server. The find box (the binoculars button) is failing when you use
Find First. This is on a primary key field.

Occasionally it gives a syntax error (no details); more usually it reports
"Search succeeded" but continues to display the record you started on.

Using Find Next is a much more effective option that usually achieves the
required effect (maybe always, if the record truly exists).

I've tried this same database from the same shortcut in NT and 2000 with
Office 2000 installed, and both have no problem with Find First. And it has
worked on Win 95/Office 97 machines for many years.

I've repaired and compacted. I've fiddled with fields and primary keys to
remove the index and rebuild it. It remains the case that the XP machines
can't operate Access 2's Find First in any reliable fashion.

Any ideas ? Would service packs be relevant ?

TIA
Mike Tope
PS late night (GMT) user only due to child on Nexus ...