[AccessD] Where do they store the toolbar info

John Bartow john at winhaven.net
Fri Jan 2 17:14:52 CST 2004

John,
I think you've summed it up pretty well here. The CommandBar system seems to
be a flexible system but not very developer friendly. It could definitely
use a more comprehensive UI to configure options for each form/report
object.

Because I distribute apps using Access runtime, and built-in CommandBars
aren't available under runtime, I have created a set of custom toolbars that
I use for runtime use:
tbrMenu; mbrMenu; sbrMenu for all menu forms
tbrPopup; mbrPopup; sbrPopup for all pop-up forms
tbrBasic; mbrBasic; sbrBasic for all standard forms
tbrReport; mbrReport; sbrReport for all reports
etc.
I then customize a CommandBar if needed for a particular form or control. By
doing this I can just import CommandBars from a previously built app and not
have to spend time creating them.

Before distributing for runtime use I set the "AllowBuiltinToolbars"
property to false so my users will never get the built-in set of
CommandBars.

John B.

PS: I think the same crew worked on the CommandBar UI that put the task
options in Outlook 2k. I guess things could be worse!

Here's a trick that might make you appreciate the CommandBar UI better:
Try to find "Set Reminders on Tasks with Due Dates" in Outlook 2k - I
guarantee that its on one of the four different dialogs boxes (each having
three or less options on it) used to set task option.