[AccessD] Opening a word document from code

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Fri Jan 23 17:05:53 CST 2004

Debug.Print IsFileOpen("C:\Documents and Settings\marty\My
Documents\Doc1.doc")

' This function checks to see if a file is open or not. If the file is
   ' already open, it returns True. If the file is not open, it returns
   ' False. Otherwise, a run-time error will occur because there is
   ' some other problem accessing the file.

   Function IsFileOpen(filename As String) As Boolean
       Dim filenum As Integer, errnum As Integer

       On Error Resume Next   ' Turn error checking off.
       filenum = FreeFile()   ' Get a free file number.
       ' Attempt to open the file and lock it.
       Open filename For Input Lock Read As #filenum
       Close filenum          ' Close the file.
       errnum = Err           ' Save the error number that occurred.
       On Error GoTo 0        ' Turn error checking back on.

       ' Check to see which error occurred.
       Select Case errnum

           ' No error occurred.
           ' File is NOT already open by another user.
           Case 0
               IsFileOpen = False

           ' Error number for "Permission Denied."
           ' File is already opened by another user.
           Case 70
               IsFileOpen = True

           ' Another error occurred.
           Case Else