[AccessD] Vonage

John W. Colby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue Jan 27 17:09:49 CST 2004

Item                                      Quantity  Unit   Subtotal
Motorola Device                               1     $0.00     $0.00
Area Code: 315 - Syracuse                     1     $0.00     $0.00
Activation Fee                                1    $29.99    $29.99
*Residential Basic 500                        1    $14.99    $14.99
                                -----------------------------------

                                      State Sales Tax:        $0.00
                                      Federal Excise Tax:     $1.35
                                      Regulatory Recovery Fee:$1.50
                                      Shipping:               $9.95
                                      Total:                 $57.78

* Monthly Recurring Charge.

This does not include a charge of approximately $30 which you will be
charged for if you do not return the modem at the end of service.

Now understand that the telephone company charged me a $60 activation fee
when I moved from one location to another location down the road 1/2 mile.
All just to change my billing from one jack to another in a switchboard.
Hmmm...

In addition, ATM the Vonage $14.99 is a flat monthly fee, no taxes or other
regulatory charges added.  My land line STARTS at 11.53 for flat residence
line, plus 5.78 federal subscriber line charge, plus 1.43 Connecticut sales
tax, plus .73 federal tax plus .20 E911 surcharge, plus .05 Connecticut
Service Fund, plus .39 number portability charge, plus .56 Universal Service
fund (local), plus .14 Universal Service Fund (Long Distance). Talk about
nickel and dimeing you to death!

I NEVER get out with under $25 on a "11.50" phone line, and with all the
"short" long distance, I rarely get out for under ~$35 WITHOUT long
distance, which is $.10/minute.  For a couple of years I have used a prepaid
calling card which I programmed into my phone to get my long distance for
$.039 per minute (slowly inching up, now $.045).

Of course I also have to pay for my blazing fast internet connection, which
is a ridiculous $45 / month.  Makes the $15 ($25/$35) phone bill seem rather
inconsequential.  But I could never go back to dialup so since I have this
blazing fast internet, I might as well piggyback my phone off of it.

I am pleased to say it is working great so far.