[AccessD] Vonage

John W. Colby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed Jan 28 09:01:15 CST 2004

No, mine is Cable Vision - Optimum Online.

In fact what you see in the bill is a mistake I made (yes, I do occasionally
make a mistake ;-).  You can ask for a phone number in any area code.  I
initially asked for one in Syracuse since I have a sister-in-law living
there and it would be local to her.  What this meant however is that
everyone here where I live (Connecticut) would have to pay long distance to
reach me.  Uhh... brain farts... so I changed my number back to a local (to
my residence) Connecticut number.

In fact, for $5 each / month you can get a additional "virtual" numbers so
that you could get a number in the city where your mother lives (for
example) that would be a local call to her.  Or you can get a second
"business" number that rings on the same phone.  And of course, you can also
get 800 numbers.

AFAICT you could even get a second phone modem box and plug a second phone
into it to have two completely separate (home / business?) phone systems
running over the internet connection.  That would be perfect for the SOHO
that needs an inexpensive business phone completely separate from the home
phone.

This is pretty cool stuff.