[AccessD] more on early versus late binding

Bob Hall rjhjr at cox.net
Mon Jul 12 13:20:23 CDT 2004

On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 01:31:38PM -0400, Susan Harkins wrote:
> Well, I did a poor job of asking that...
>
> My question is -- does checking a reference or modifying a reference using
> the Reference object and its many properties and methods fall into either
> category?

No.

>From a Knowledge Base article on Access:

     "Dim objAccess As Access.Application"
     This type of declaration is called early binding, which is fastest.

The article's example of late binding is

          Dim objAccess As Object

"Binding" refers to binding a variable to an object. Setting a reference tells your code where a predefined class can be found. Of course, you've got to set a reference to do early binding, so the two tend to get mixed together.