[AccessD] Connect to db with different wrkgroup

DWUTKA at marlow.com DWUTKA at marlow.com
Thu Jul 15 21:41:32 CDT 2004

WG files?  In 97 and 2000, workgroup files are mdw's, did that change in
2003?

One approach you might take is to 'merge' the security systems.  Workgroup
files only store 'login' information, the permissions are stored in the .mdb
itself.  If you use the same UserName and/or Group name, in both workgroup
files, they should be interchangeable.  Of course, you also have to use the
same 'ID' when you create them.

I honestly don't know how well it works across versions.  I would assume
that going from a newer version to an older version wouldn't be an issue.

If you have the security matched, I don't think you would have a problem
putting a 'outside' database as a source in a query.  I'm guessing here, but
it's a well educated guess.  Access User Level security is very similar to
NT security, and when a process in NT has a specific security account, the
'credentials' carry over to whatever that process is using.  I wouldn't be
at all surprised if Jet does the same thing.

Drew