[AccessD] Jumpdrive encrypted volume

Colby, John JColby at dispec.com
Fri Jul 16 09:51:13 CDT 2004

Mark,

I have not read any documentation that says anything about any of this
stuff.  Further in doing a google looking for people having problems I
didn't really find anything.  Lexar has a 24 hour chat tech support.  He was
useless, basically telling me to rma it and they would attempt data
recovery.

I have had a problem getting the encrypted volume to mount once before.  I
ended up just manually shutting down the volume then the media, rebooting
and it came back up.

I think I will NOT power down the machine without manually unmounting both
the encrypted volume and the media.  It is reasonably easy to do that, and I
haven't ever had any problems where I did dismount everything.  I have only
used this thing for about a month, but I have been using it pretty much
daily since I have my billing on it.  I also put customer databases in the
encrypted volume so that if it is lost, sensitive stuff doesn't get out.

I am going to move my billing into a secure volume on my notebook.  I
purchased a license for DriveCrypt which is a very good program for building
encrypted volumes out of files, or encrypting entire partitions.  The
license is reasonably cheap at $60 / machine, but the license only works on
a single machine and I was using the license on my desktop.  I am making my
laptop my "desktop replacement" so when I get the time I will just move the
license to the laptop and be done with it.  I will end up just backing up
the container file off the laptop to make sure I don't end up with lost
data.

Having an encrypted volume on the jump drive is comforting though for the
customer's data.  This is sensitive (personal) data and would be really bad
to lose it and have it unencrypted.

JWC