[AccessD] OT: New Browser

Bryan Carbonnell carbonnb at sympatico.ca
Sat Jul 17 14:44:01 CDT 2004

> >> Anyone care to answer a poll:
> >>
> >> Of those who use an alternative browser (not IEX) what browser do you
> >> use?
> >>
> >> John W. Colby www.ColbyConsulting.com

Firefox, without a doubt for me. You'd be supprised how may people use Firefox.

Here are some stats since the start of July) from the webserver's logs of the mailing list server, which hosts the archives (not Drew's but DBA's)

IE 79.6 %
FireFox 14 %
Mozilla 2.8 %
Netscape 1 %

Everything else is less than 1 %

As you can see Firefox is quite popular.

What I particularly like about Firefox is that it is a web browser first and foremost. That's all it does out of the box. It's standards compliant. It renders fast. If there is something that you feel is missing, there is usually an extension you can add to get the functionallity you want. It is HIGHLY configurable.

Those are just some of the highlights.

Don't be scared by the beta tag. It's not an MS beta :) As Stuart (I think) said, it just means that they are not finished implementing all the features that they want to inculde. Its stable and hasn't crashed on me since I started using it back around v0.6.

My $0.02 worth.

Bryan Carbonnell - carbonnb at sympatico.ca
Unfortunately common sense isn't so common!