[AccessD] Update query copy one field to another

DWUTKA at marlow.com DWUTKA at marlow.com
Thu Jul 29 14:07:42 CDT 2004

It is probably easier to just think in SQL terms.

UPDATE tblMyTable SET SomeField=1, SomeOtherField=5*[SomeOtherField],
SomeTextField=UCase([SomeTextField]), ThisField=ThatField WHERE
ADateField>#2-13-04#

If you look at the segments of the SQL, you have the actual command UPDATE.
After update, you need to let it know what it's updating, which is
tblMyTable.  Then you need to let it know what you want to update within
that table, so you have SET.  Everything after SET are comma delimited
Fields and their new values.  So in the example above, we are setting
'SomeField' to 1, SomeOtherField to 5x it's value, 'SomeTextField' to All
caps, and ThisField is being set to the value in ThatField.  We also have a
WHERE clause, which tells Jet to only perform this update on records that
have an ADateField date after the 13th of February of this year.

Now, if you look at the SQL that Access produces, it will be the same, but
it will be cluttered with brackets, parentheses and full table references.
That isn't bad, in fact it may even run just a hair faster (since everything
is fully named), but it's a nightmare to try and actually see the basics
being used.

Drew