[AccessD] Going to Raid - Win2K

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue Jun 1 19:32:42 CDT 2004

Just an update, I ordered 2 80g hard drives to set up raid on my server
system disk.  That system has a raid controller on the motherboard.  It
was relatively painless, taking a mere 6-8 hours to figure out and
implement.

The Highpoint Rocketraid on the other hand... I almost RMAd, and
probably should have done so.  Following their instructions I managed to
get the system in a state where it was an array but couldn't write the
mirror, the software wouldn't allow any choice but "write the mirror" or
continue booting.  I couldn't undo and start over.  I had an existing
120g hard drive with all my software installed, broken into partitions.
I commonly create a system partition of 30-40g and then one or more
partitions for my work stuff, and I wanted to just mirror that drive.

NEVER DID.  I have to guess it was the partitions but since the software
had NO help files, no error codes, nothing on the web for help, no user
groups, etc... In the end I just formatted and started over, where I
managed to set up the mirror as I was doing the install, but I ended up
with a single large partition, which I hate.

Would I buy the controller again, or recommend it?  Nope.  It is
functioning, but not on my terms.