[AccessD] OT: Microsofts new product NAVISION.

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Mon Jun 7 11:25:35 CDT 2004

Hi John

Navision (brand name) Attain (product name) is Danish. With a handful
of other products like Concorde XAL and Axapta they were bought by MS
a couple of years ago - after Great Plains. However, MS has not yet
published a full plan for outphasing these and replacing them with the
new monster ERP system MS is rumored to have ready in five years time.

Contrary to the Concorde products which always have exploited strange
behaviour, the Navision products run rock steady. The db engine is
proprietary but is very fast and is known for essentially impossible
to crash - certainly a nice feature. The user interface visual design
is very neat and strict but extremely boring, and the logic in the
user interface can be hard to follow and to learn. A high level of
customization of the user interface is normally required at a cost
which at least equals the license cost ... out of the box the product
is simply non-comprehensible for the average user.

Programming these animals is a full time job; Attain uses a
Pascal-like language, Axapta a Java-like, and XAL its very own
language. Worse yet, obtaining a developer license is extremely
expensive (in the EUR 15.000 range), thus only dedicated and very
expensive developers (but not always very good) exist. APIs hardly
exist and ODBC drivers cost a fortune. Quite expensive system - right
now a bargain on Attain is offered at around EUR 2.000 per user
license ...

Navision compares in no way to SAP R/3 but somewhat to SAP Business
One. However, SAP B1 costs a fraction and it features a full API which
allows people like you and me to modify and expand it. As for
programming Navision, my best advice is to forget it - sit down and be
the nice guy and watch the consultants play - you will by sure learn
their names while they "play" a lot at your client's expense at
excessive hour rates! You have been warned.

/gustav