[AccessD] Hiding Back End Design

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Mon Jun 21 14:43:21 CDT 2004

There are free umm access tools from Russia.
http://accesstools.narod.ru/index.html

One of these reads the passwords in an MDW file, which might get you
into a secured mdb.

There are quite a few Case Tools that will reengineer an mdb complete
with UML diagrams via ADO.
 You might have to turn off Table read permissions and use RWOP Query
permissions.
Given that you might want to use MSDE for security. I don't know if you
can brute force crack MSDE.
But SQL Server password authentication is not  very safe, as there is no
lockout policy to protect against brute-force attacks.
So you should protect against simple dictionary attacks.

Private Sub GrabMDBPassword(strPathFilename as string)
' Access 97method -  neeeds mod for xp
    Dim b As Byte
    dim xorstring as string
    dim qs as string
     dim j as long
      dim i as long
       dim b as long
    xorstring = Chr(218) & Chr(236) & Chr(1) & Chr(156) & Chr(154) &
Chr(40) & _
      Chr(79) & Chr(138) & Chr(8) & Chr(123)

    Open strPathFilename For Binary Access Read As #1
    qs = ""
    j = 67
    For i = 1 To 10
      Get #1, j, b: j = j + 2
      qs = qs & Chr(b Xor Asc(Mid(xorstring, i, 1)))
    Next
    Beep
    MsgBox "Password:" & qs
End Sub