[AccessD] design/development question on representingmtmrelationships

Susan Harkins ssharkins at bellsouth.net
Wed Jun 30 10:49:13 CDT 2004

Yes, me too -- I was just wondering what creative things others might be
doing. My concern isn't the relationships, because that's standard. I'm just
curious how developers present that information for entry, editing, etc. --
to be as user friendly as possible.

And, it becomes more complicated when you have more than one many-to-many to
accommodate. For instance, what if you're also tracking projects -- many
developers may be working on many projects at the same time -- and you're
pairing up those developers by skillset...

Susan H.

An M:M relationship implies a pair of foreign keys, one of them typically
hidden. Suppose we have, for example:

Developers -- a table of Developers
Skills -- a table of skills (Access, .NET, SQL Server, etc.) DeveloperSkills
-- a table containing a minimum of DeveloperID and SkillID, and optionally
other fields such as SkillLevel, YearsExperience, etc.