[AccessD] Re: design/development question on representing mtm relationships

Robert L. Stewart rl_stewart at highstream.net
Wed Jun 30 13:27:36 CDT 2004

Susan,

If you are going to maintain the relationship, you ALWAYS enter the one
side before the many side.  I do not understand what you mean by unnatural
when you said that entering the one before the many felt unnatural.  Can I
have line items for an order without the order itself?  Can I have a home
address for a person before I have the person?

And many-to-many is different from the one-to-many that you
described.  Many-to-many requires what is sometimes referred to as a
resolver table.  The following is an example:

tblParty        tblPartyPhone        tblPhone       tblPhoneType
PartyID         PartyPhoneID         PhoneID        PhoneTypeID
FirstName       PartyID              CountryCode    PhoneTypeDesc
MiddleName      PhoneID              AreaCityCode
LastName        PhoneTypeID          Exchange
                                      PhoneNumber

The table tblPartyPhone resolves the many-to-many between party and
phone.  And, it allows the phone to play a different role between different
people by including the phone type.

And, I would use form/subform for all data entry and never allow a record
to be added to tblPartyPhone without a phone number, a party, and a type of
phone.  Which by the way, is the business key (i.e. unique index) for the
resolver table.

Robert