[AccessD] Deployment

Rocky Smolin - Beach Access Software bchacc at san.rr.com
Wed Mar 3 09:55:43 CST 2004

Dear List:

I've got an app I'm developing for the consumer market and we're in beta testing now.  It's in A2K so all the betas have to have Access.

Eventually it will have to be packaged as a run-time. But at that point it will be shrink-wrapped.

In the short term we could expand our beta testing universe with a run-time.  So I'm trying to figure out the best way to do this.

The problem AFAIK with the run-times is their size.  Right now we can email the mde to a beta tester and it's about 3-4MB.  If I put up a run-time on my web site, beta testers are not likely to know how to do an FTP program.

I suppose I could make a password protected folder on my web site, and get my web site developer to make the run-time downloadable or installable from the site.  I don't know how to do this.  Maybe she does.

I've got A97 developer's edition, Wise Installer, and the Sagekey script for A97.  But I don't think that the app can be converted back to A97.  In any event, the total A97/Wise/Sagekey package runs to about 70MB IIRC.

I could buy A2002 or A2003 if they've got a better deployment capability than they've had in the past.

What are your recommendations, suggestions, thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Rocky Smolin
Beach Access Software