[AccessD] Converting Access 97 to Access XP FE& BE

GregSmith at starband.net GregSmith at starband.net
Wed Mar 10 13:48:13 CST 2004

Hi Everyone...again.

I have no clue what happened to that last message....Sometimes fast
computers can be a great disadvantage...sorry 'bout that.

I'm in the process of converting a rather complex Access 97 database (FE
is about 8 meg, BE with data is about 500 meg) to Access XP (or 2002 if
you prefer).  This is also a tightly secured database, using access's
security, groups, users, etc., with about 20 users for signing in.

The security part isn't really an issue...MS says I can continue to use
the same mdw file in 97 & XP, although I won't have some of the advantages
that Jet 4 will have if I convert it.  But the only way to convert the mdw
file is to recreate it.  Not high on my list to do that right now.  Maybe
later...after I find all the PID's and stuff.  Not gonna go there for
now...

I ran the conversion from A97 to A2k to AXP on both the FE & BE.  They
worked without error (if you don't include the three errors for the three
tables I forgot to relink...).

I know that there is DAO specific code in there, and I'm sure it didn't
convert all of that.  Does anyone know what really needs to be converted
in the VB code from DAO to ADO?  I think CurrentDB() is one, and it's in
there, but when I tested the converted app & data, everything seems to
work just fine.  However, being the suspicious type, I suspect I'm about
to get ambushed by somthing in it major that won't work right.  I'd much
rather find out about it NOW than after they've gone live with the upgrade
and my butt's hanging out in the breeze (once again...), figuratively
speaking of course.

Or is there somewhere on M$ or elsewhere I can go to get specifics on
converting the code fully?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA!

Greg Smith