[AccessD] Framework Discussion - Dependent Objects

John W. Colby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sat Mar 13 08:18:00 CST 2004

Jim,

>What will be interesting to see is by the time you get to a useable
framework what performance will be like.

I have a usable framework already, in fact I am looking at my old to find
subjects for these articles.  The performance is simply not an issue.  As I
mentioned once before I did some timings way back with my old framework.  I
had a very complex form with literally close to a hundred controls loading
classes.  I timed the control scanner and what I discovered is that with an
old Pentium (100 MHz?  150 MHz?) and 128 mb of ram the scanner tool under
1/2 millisecond to load each class instance.  Thus a form loading 100
classes took 50 milliseconds to load the classes.  When a bound form is
swamps the picture.  Would you notice an additional 1/50th of a second for
the framework to do it's thing?

Visual Basic is a reasonably fast interpreter and the time to execute
programs usually just doesn't enter the picture in a database application
where queries and recordset manipulations are slowing things down.

And of course our computers get faster and faster.