[AccessD] OT: Connected mixed OS on a Pier-toPier LAN

Jim Lawrence (AccessD) accessd at shaw.ca
Sun Mar 14 03:57:55 CST 2004

OT

Hi All:

This is off topic but I am sure others have been having the same problems
and it comes as real revelation to me. The problem only affects people who
support or have mixed LANs...LANs with more than one OS and XP.

When connecting a mixed group of computers together, with one or more
computers being XP, the conventional wisdom was to use NetBEUI. When XP
first came out, it's CD held a version of NetBEUI that worked well with
other OSs but with latter versions, problems started to appear...slow
connections and even lockup. It appears that MS were now shipping with a
propitiatory XP NetBEUI implementation.

The solution is the remove all traces of the XP NetBEUI from the offending
system. First remove the protocol, through the control panel, delete the
files nbf.sys and netnbf.inf, find and replace same with 2000 netBEUI
drivers and unbind the TCP/IP protocol, so the TCP is only used for internet
communications and do the same for the rest of the network's internet
communications. Do not attempt mixed protocols within a pier to pier LAN
that have an XP component.

The validity can be checked out at
http://www.scotsnewsletter.com/38.htm#tipadaweek

Hope the helps someone.