[AccessD] OT: Connected mixed OS on a Pier-toPier LAN

Brett Barabash BBarabash at TappeConstruction.com
Sun Mar 14 08:58:56 CST 2004

YES!!!!
Thank you for this.  NetBEUI was a serious pain for me to setup at home
(especially since my laptop vendor doesn't supply actual WinXP installation
disks).

So, uh, Pier-to-Pier networking.  Was that technology invented by the Navy?
<VBG>

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Lawrence (AccessD) [mailto:accessd at shaw.ca]
Sent: Sunday, March 14, 2004 3:58 AM
To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
Subject: [AccessD] OT: Connected mixed OS on a Pier-toPier LAN
---------------

OT

Hi All:

This is off topic but I am sure others have been having the same problems
and it comes as real revelation to me. The problem only affects people who
support or have mixed LANs...LANs with more than one OS and XP.

When connecting a mixed group of computers together, with one or more
computers being XP, the conventional wisdom was to use NetBEUI. When XP
first came out, it's CD held a version of NetBEUI that worked well with
other OSs but with latter versions, problems started to appear...slow
connections and even lockup. It appears that MS were now shipping with a
propitiatory XP NetBEUI implementation.

The solution is the remove all traces of the XP NetBEUI from the offending
system. First remove the protocol, through the control panel, delete the
files nbf.sys and netnbf.inf, find and replace same with 2000 netBEUI
drivers and unbind the TCP/IP protocol, so the TCP is only used for internet
communications and do the same for the rest of the network's internet
communications. Do not attempt mixed protocols within a pier to pier LAN
that have an XP component.

The validity can be checked out at
http://www.scotsnewsletter.com/38.htm#tipadaweek

Hope the helps someone.
Jim

The information in this email may contain confidential information that
is legally privileged. The information is only for the use of the intended
recipient(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient(s), you
are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or the taking
of any action in regard to the content of this fax is strictly prohibited.  If
transmission is incorrect, unclear, or incomplete, please notify the sender
immediately. The authorized recipient(s) of this information is/are prohibited
from disclosing this information to any other party and is/are required to
destroy the information after its stated need has been fulfilled.

states them to be the views of Tappe Construction Co.

This footer also confirms that this email message has been scanned
for the presence of computer viruses.Scanning of this message and
addition of this footer is performed by SurfControl E-mail Filter software
in conjunction with virus detection software.