[AccessD] Vendor Table

DWUTKA at marlow.com DWUTKA at marlow.com
Mon Mar 15 15:41:03 CST 2004

Hmmmm....I'm getting a little confused at the original 'intent'.

Let me see if I am thinking this through correctly.  Al needs a dozen
widgets.  So Al becomes the 'requestor'.  Frank is the company's
'purchaser', so Frank is the Buyer.  Widgets-R-Us is one of the 'Vendors'
that Frank can use, to purchase the widgets that Al wants.  Is that close?

If that's the case, you need to take a look at the people involved.
Requestors and Purchasers (in the example above) are people in the same
company, so they should have the same information.  So I would put them in
tblEmployees.  I am kind of roughing this around my companies 'PO' system.
Technically all employee's can be Requestors, so any table that would need
to know who is requesting something would have RequestorID, but that would
be the EmployeeID foriegn key.  However, only certain employee's would be
Buyers, and each buyer (in my case) actually purchases based on the type of
the purchase.  So I would then have a PurchaseType table, to list the
various 'purchase types', and then have a many to many table to link the
buyers/purchasers to the types they handle (assuming there is possible
overlap in each direction).  Vendors on the other hand, could be put into
one table.  With a VendorID, Point of contact, etc. etc.

I would then make a tblPurchaseOrder.  Have the Requestor fill that out (So
his/her ID would be recorded in the tblPurchaseOrder Record).  Have the
Requestor fill out the PO, including the Purchase type.  Then, the buyer's
would be able to 'view' the Purchase Orders that they are linked too through
the Many to Many table.

Does this make sense, or am I starting to babble....had a long week (My RAID
5 crashed, spent all last week getting my data off of it!)  ARG!

Drew