[AccessD] Framework Discussion - Dependent Objects

Bob Hall rjhjr at cox.net
Tue Mar 16 11:02:41 CST 2004

Hi John,

On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 10:54:40AM -0500, John W. Colby wrote:
> Overloading means inheriting a parent class, then taking a defined method in
> the parent class, and writing the exact same syntax function call replacing
> the functionality with something different.  Dog "Barks", Daschund "barks"
> but entirely differently.  I inherit dog, and then write a new "bark" method
> changing the code (usually but not always writing entirely new code) to
> change what happens when the user calls my bark method.  I then save that as
> a Daschund object of the dog lineage.

Overloading doesn't involve inheritence, and the syntax of the function call
can change. The definition is that the same function name (or operator symbol)
is used with different parameters (or operands). For example, I can
overload DrawSolid() so that it draws a four-sided solid when passed four
points, and a five-sided solid when passed five points. I don't do this by
inheritence; I just write a new definition of DrawSolid().

What you describe above is polymorphism.

Bob Hall