[AccessD] Using Access for Reports w/an ASP app?

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Fri Mar 19 12:54:42 CST 2004

Hi Christopher

What you are requesting is some sort of "Access report server engine".

I see three options when a report is requested:

1. Make a direct call to Access to open and print the report.
2. Raise an event which is caught by a running Access instance.
3. Create a message queue. Put the name etc. of the report into the
queue, have Access to poll the queue and print when an entry is found.

For 1. and 2. you will have the problem that Access is single threaded
which means that if Access is printing a report it cannot initiate
printing another.
For 1. you could possibly - as long system resources permit - open a
new instance of Access. This could be hard to control.
For 2. I don't know if it is possible to have several instances of
Access running to watch for the same event.
For 3. you should be able to have several instances running polling at
random intervals to obtain a needed total output capacity (reports per
hour).

I too would be very interested if some of you have some experiences
with a setup for a purpose like this as Access is an excellent report
engine and - run as runtimes - at zero cost compared to the quite
expensive Crystal Reports.

/gustav