[AccessD] Framework Discussion - Another poll

Arthur Fuller artful at rogers.com
Wed Mar 24 19:10:25 CST 2004

I am, but admittedly with reservations. Back in the dinosaur age I wrote
a lot of stuff vaguely similar, and subsequently discarded for
performance reasons. That was back when all you could count on was 640K
or maybe 1MB of RAM. But perhaps the analysis still obtains.

As I see it, there are two poles:

1. Write everything O-O and have the framework figure out what to do at
run-time.

2. Regen the entire app so nothing has to be figured out at run-time and
everything will therefore perform much more quickly.

I'm not yet sold either way. Or perhaps more accurately, I am sold one
way or the other depending upon the app's requirements. Given 1000
users, development time is trivial compared to execution time. Given 10
users, development time is much more significant. IMO, if performance is
paramount, data-driven doesn't cut it. But there are lots of apps in
which performance is not paramount, and in that case data-driven may be
the right way to go.

I wrote a lib a long time ago which was based on data-driven tech.
Turned out the California Red Cross was one of our biggest customers. In
their context, the performance-hit for data-driven was a serious
problem. Heart-pacers were at stake, and various other machines. Any
possible performance-hit had to die, else some patient might. 120 users
to start, it later got a lot bigger; seconds mattered big time: every
fraction of every second mattered big-time.

Not to say every app is like that. Just to say that I have learned the
hard way that when performance is paramount, data-driven loses. When it
is not paramount, data-driven wins pretty much hands down.

My $.02.

Arthur