[AccessD] Framework Discussion - set up question

Susan Harkins ssharkins at bellsouth.net
Thu Mar 25 14:03:22 CST 2004

Couldn't have said it better myself. ;)

To me there's no should or should nots when it comes to features -- there's
just different people at different levels trying to get their work done.

Susan H.

I have to agree with Susan on this.  Yes, it is a tool to build desktop
applications.  However, so is Word, Excel, and even Outlook for that matter.
VBA is a POWERFUL tool, and can quite frankly do anything it wants too, to a
Windows OS.  However, The Office Suite was ALSO meant to be a tool for the
average user.  No coding experience necessary to use any of the Office
programs.  This includes Access.  Now, the fact that most users use
Excel/Word, where they should be using Access, is simply due to the fact
that most people hear the word 'database', and freak.  Personally, I think
that is do to overly complex systems built by 'professional developers'.

The fact that the entire Office Suite is both easy to use, and powerful
enough to create actual applications, should be a kudos to Microsoft, not a
'hot issue' to debate between developers.

Now, what I feel needs to be 'fought' for, is the acceptance of Access
throughout the db development world.  I get tired of listening to SQL Server
and Oracle developers who think of Access as a toy, instead of a database.

Just my two cents.

Drew