[AccessD] Lookup Fields in Table Design

Francisco H Tapia my.lists at verizon.net
Thu Mar 25 16:59:55 CST 2004

DWUTKA at marlow.com said the following on 3/25/2004 2:21 PM:

>So what's your point?  All that the Lookup field is doing, is providing easy
>data entry from a datasheet view (which is a view of forms too), and a
>reference for automatic/wizard stuff in Access.  No effect at all.

So where's the advantage of using the lookup?  If anything if I'm
customizing the lookup by form, I need to be in the datasource of the
combobox anyways.

>Show me a performance decrease.  It's easy to SAY it decreases performance.

Joining a table adds a layer of complexity to all queries, simple joins
make nearly no performance decrease, but when you begin joining tables
over tables and you have a lookup associated to a table lets say...
about 4 to 5 queries deep.. .well I would venture to say that it has a
good possibility to add some performance issues.

In a field that takes only 1-5 rows this may not be a problem but what
about situations where you have litterally thousands of rows for the
lookup... now you've inner joined 2 tables w/o needing to. (depending on
your needs of course)
a join between 200,000 may not be much, but what about situations where
the total rows joined exceeds 1mill.?

--
-Francisco