[AccessD] Lookup Fields in Table Design

Susan Harkins ssharkins at bellsouth.net
Fri Mar 26 13:57:00 CST 2004

VERY interesting.  Have to give them half a point back, because there is a
small amount of 'bloat', if you use a query/table for the lookup.  But it's
negligible, and also, both databases grow when you index the field, just
grows a bit more.  I would never really call that 'bloat'.  Not trying to
back track, but to me, bloat is when a database grows in size over time, but
when compacted, it gets smaller.  The portion that is 'reduced' is bloat.
The portion left after the compact is 'overhead'.  That's my definition.
Admittedly, if you are going to run close to max db size, then lookups
should be removed, to get that much more space.  But we are talking overhead
space, not really 'bloat'.

==============Wait!!!!!!!!!!! Is it true bloat, or just normal increase due
to feature use. I mean, if you use it,  it's going to cost something
somewhere. So don't be so quick to label it -- but if it really bloat, then
OK. :)

Susan H.