[AccessD] OT: A survey from somebody not as well-connected as JC

Jim Lawrence (AccessD) accessd at shaw.ca
Tue Mar 30 22:14:05 CST 2004

Hi All:

<rant mode on>
Unfortunately, I think the era of writing a good program and subsequently
living of its' sales, is past. Too many companies have created applications
for every market and will sell the results for just 2 or 3 hundred dollars,
just to scrap by. There is no support but the general public has come to
expect that. In no small part, Microsoft has contributed to it. In one
scenario, within a government department, consisting of 300 plus stations,
it took three full-time personnel just to support the site. Now, it takes
four full-time contractors to support whole Ministers, consisting of 6500
plus stations.

Over 20 times the level of productivity and service, on an OSs that has
software, imbedded (free), that would have added together, a few years ago,
to an estimated 10,000 dollars and the system sells for $250.00. What
happened to all those small flourishing companies, that supplied the markets
with custom apps and utilities? Instead of fixing a computer or modifying
(hacking) a piece or group of software package into working in concert, it
is easier and cheaper to dump the old stuff, buy a few $500 dollar boxes,
with XP on them and get the secretaries' son to parlé together a barely
functional Access DB. If the worse comes to the worse you can always
contract, at ten bucks an hour, some third rate database guy or a first rate
foreign programmer. Don't believe me; then check this out, as I get these
type of emails all the time: http://www.pavan.org/. This is a representative
example.

You can create a good programming business but you have to work long and
hard and be as equally good salesperson as programmer. If you are willing to
make sacrifices, stay in for the long haul and strive towards developing
customer loyalty, I think there are still opportunities... but it ain't the
eighties or nineties anymore.
</rant mode off>

If you really love making great software, enjoy chatting with your clients
(...and for you young guys and gals that does not mean getting to know the
client's secretary or the fellow in shipping...) and are not obsessed with
money, this is where you should be.

Now if you want my opinion...just ask. :-)

What is yours?
Jim