[AccessD] Access to SQL Server

Martin Reid mwp.reid at qub.ac.uk
Wed Mar 31 14:49:03 CST 2004

If your employer/customer asked you to move all your Access databases onto a
central SQL Server what problems other than code rewrite would you bring up?

What would stop you doing this or maybe think twice before starting?

I am working on a project which looks at moving all of an organisations
databases to SQL Server over a period of time. This is not a real project
but we are trying to see how developers would react to the possibility. I am
really interested in the view point of the actual people who may have to do
this.

One of the areas I am looking at is performance and issues surrounding
redesign. for example at the university we have many small Access dbs which
duplicate student data. It would be fairly easy to remove this duplication
by moving them to SQL Server and linking to a core set of data making it
very easy for us to mange this type of installation.

Comments.opinions etc appreciated

Martin