[AccessD] Joe Celko Has Published a New SQL Book (Brief Review)

lawhonac lawhonac at hiwaay.net
Tue May 25 21:41:07 CDT 2004

Title of the book is: "Joe Celko's Trees and Hierarchies in SQL for
Smarties".

This book covers topics such as representing trees and hierarchies,
hierarchical encoding schemes, graphs, binary trees, and several related
topics.  From my initial scan, it appears that this book would be valuable
in gaining insight on how to solve knotty "exploded parts" and "Generation
Breakdown List" type applications.  (I know people on this list have
occasionally posted queries asking how to program these type applications.)

NOTE: This is NOT a "beginners" SQL book.

Here's a link to the book on Amazon.com (watch the wrap):

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1558609202/qid=1085538624/sr=1
-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-5510817-7703934?v=glance&s=books

This book is not cheap ($34.95) but if you have to program these type
applications, this book is probably worth its weight in gold.

Alan C. Lawhon