[AccessD] Novell and Access

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Sun May 2 02:53:12 CDT 2004

Hi Martin

> I have a large Access db running on a Novell network. It is very slow.
> Sometime ago there was a lot of discussion on setting in Novell whcih would
> improve the perormance of Access on Novell. Anyone remember the parameters
> which could be set. I think Seth came up with a solution.

Sadly, I don't think we ever heard from Seth what he came up with ...

So, first, ask your NetWare admin to check these settings:

SET MAXIMUM RECORD LOCKS = 200000
SET MAXIMUM RECORD LOCKS PER CONNECTION = 100000

For newer NetWare version (>=5?) they should be default.
If not, they can simply be typed in (as shown) at the console as they
are dynamic. If it works they should be inserted in the autoexec.ncf
file.

Second, check that your Novell clients are up to date.

Also, look up the thread

  Excel 2000 to Access 2000 link slow on Novell network

from July 2002. It may not represent your situation but has some
hints.

If you are running Access 97 data (Jet 3.5) on Access 2000 that may be
an issue of its own.

/gustav