[AccessD] Access vs. Filemaker Comparison Reference?

Jim Dettman jimdettman at earthlink.net
Mon May 3 12:42:26 CDT 2004

Drew,

That can happen on an update as well.  The error is "Record too large".  Of
course there is a lot that goes into that.  Memo and OLE fields only take 14
bytes or 16 bytes in the fixed portion of the record (version dependent) for
a pointer to the chain, unless they are <30 bytes in size, then their stored
with the record.  There's also 1 byte overhead for each field and 7 bytes
for the record.

For A2000 and up (JET 4.0) the page size was increased to 4096 bytes, but
Unicode takes 2 bytes, so it's virtually the same.

  Not too often you run into it, but when you do, there is no getting around
it except to split the table.

Jim
(315) 699-3443
jimdettman at earthlink.net