[AccessD] FS object

John W. Colby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue May 4 22:02:16 CDT 2004

And I have never found the FSO disabled.  Not that an idiot can't disable it
(and they would be an idiot to do so), just that it has never been an issue
to me.

>I ran a test comparing the API dir performance with VBA Dir and the VBA was
faster.

And I care because?  And how much faster?  Noticable to a human being?

The api could retrieve file creation time and additional attributes but at a
cost of performance.

And I care because?  And how much performance cost?  Noticable to a human
being?

You can create directories in less time than it takes to load the FSO.

And I care because?  How much less time?  Noticable to a human being?

As for developing my own FSO... we've been over this before.  You (in the
past anyway) refused to use collections, insisting on rolling your own from
arrays.  I love collections and would never dream of building my own.

Sometimes you remind me of Steve Gibson.  Still programming in assembler
because "that's all he needs".

I have a job to do, and dimming a FSO and using it's properties is
infinitely faster than rolling my own FSO.  The extra millisecond required
to get a pointer to the FSO is completely irrelevent, to me, to my
customers, to most of the world.

Should the job call for a scalpel, then perhaps I would agree with you, but
the fact is it doesn't.

The FSO is NOT a backhoe or a chainsaw, it is just a tool.  It is a
reasonably well designed programming model to allow you to do everything you
would ever need to do with the file system, complete with help files,
intellisense and the rest.

I'll tell you what I will do though.  If you ever contribute to the list
even one 10th the power of the FSO in a well designed class that I can drop
into my application and just use (as I can the FSO) then I will use your
class.  Until such time... (and I'm not holding my breath waiting) uh.... it
seems the FSO wins my business.

John (the backhoe operator) Colby.