[AccessD] AutoNumber To Start From 900120

DWUTKA at marlow.com DWUTKA at marlow.com
Thu May 6 11:35:30 CDT 2004

Don't get me wrong.  I don't use Autonumbers 'willy-nilly' as 'human'
identifiers.  99% of the time, I do use some other field, or 'calculated'
value.  There are those one percents though, where I feel very comfortable
letting a user see an Autonumber.

I used the Ticket number as an example, because it was an in house project,
that I had/have complete control over.  It's not something I have to push
out the door, and let someone else play around with it.  I don't think I can
recall any instance of external usage of AutoNumbers as 'visible' keys.
There may have been some, but I can't say either way.  I do tend to stick to
something the user can identify with.  (ie, employee numbers are usually
'built' from other stuff', Invoices always seem to have date/month info in
them, etc.).

Well, I think we beat this horse to death already.

Drew