[AccessD] Linking Excel with password. Error 3161: Cannot decrypt file

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Fri May 7 04:05:29 CDT 2004

Hi Marty

> That's kind of an old version of Excel. It is Excel  95 that you are
> calling. You could try 8.0

That's what Access 2000 writes when you link worksheet or named range
as a table. I don't think it matters; I tried with 8.0 but no change.

> See SAMPLE: ExcelADO Demonstrates How to Use ADO to Read and Write Data
> in Excel Workbooks
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;278973

>  or
> http://www.able-consulting.com/MDAC/ADO/Connection/OLEDB_Providers.htm#OLEDBProviderForMicrosoftJetExcel
> http://www.able-consulting.com/MDAC/ADO/Connection/ODBC_DSNLess.htm#ODBCDriverForExcel

Thanks. Located this:

  http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;211378

which tells

  a) to remove password (clever suggestion)
  b) to have Excel open while linking from Access

However, following b), Access (97 or 2000) crashes using either code
or the wizard, so at the best this wouldn't work reliably.

This leaves a) as the clever solution ...

/gustav