[AccessD] Managing Lookup Tables

Arthur Fuller artful at rogers.com
Tue May 11 10:10:04 CDT 2004

I have been trying to devise a cool way of managing lookup tables v.
"data" tables. I.e. PaymentTypes v. Payments. It occurred to me that I
could maybe link to two different back ends, one containing only the
lookup tables and the other containing only the data tables. What I
don't like about this approach is that I tend to define everything I can
at the table level -- Caption, lookup, validation criteria, etc. etc.. I
know this is controversial, and I don't want to rekindle those threads.
What I am wondering instead is, Suppose I link the front end to the data
database, and then link it in turn to the lookups database. I'm going to
build 3 toy databases to check this out, but I'm wondering if anyone can
see any significant problems in this approach.

My basic reason for wanting to do this is so that I can freely nuke all
the data in the data database, while preserving all the data in the
lookup database.

Insights, advice, and cash donations appreciated :)
Arthur