[AccessD] normalization question

DJK(John) Robinson djkr at msn.com
Sun May 16 18:03:27 CDT 2004

By having a table of people, of course.  There is a one-to-many relationship
between people and names.  (Or more accurately a many-to-many relationship -
but let's not get into that!)  Each person with the name "John Smith" would
be represented by a record (in the people table) containing a pointer to
that name in the name table.

If you had a table of eye colors, how would you deal with real people with
the same eye color?  It's the same question as yours, really.  Eye color
doesn't identify a person uniquely: nor does a name (well, some might).

Sorry to sound simplistic, but that's it, really.  No cliff to step off.
There remains of course the issue of how to identify people uniquely - but
that, as they say, is another story ...

John