[AccessD] On DB Bloat, Bad DB Design, and various

Arthur Fuller artful at rogers.com
Fri May 21 16:14:10 CDT 2004

I just did another experiment. I changed the 20 text fields 255 to memo
fields. Call it cheating if you want, but if unlimited text is really
the point then I didn't cheat. As expected, I successfully pasted 255
characters into all 20 fields.

So, to revisit Drew's point, declare the fields that could possibly be
big, big -- but don't declare too many of them. (Personally, I think
that any table containing more than about 50 columns is badly conceived,
but that's another issue -- and I acknowledge that sometimes you have to
go further -- but most of the time it's bad design.)

If you need lots of such fields, use memos rather than text fields.

Arthur