[AccessD] On DB Bloat, Bad DB Design, and various

Charlotte Foust cfoust at infostatsystems.com
Mon May 24 11:51:15 CDT 2004

Not a valid argument on the phone numbers, Drew.  International phone numbers are still not going to be more than about 15 characters, so why make the field 255?  I've been bitten by 255 character fields in queries, so I tend to "limit" the field size to something reasonable for its contents.  No one could ever remember a 255 digit phone number, so it isn't likely that a full size field would ever be needed for that.  It's just lazy programming to default to 255. <VBG>

Charlotte Foust