[AccessD] File Slice/Splice

Jürgen Welz jwelz at hotmail.com
Wed May 26 11:37:10 CDT 2004

Charlotte is correct.  The IT people see Access as a program that creates
files just like Notepad creates files.  Since they installed Access 97, I
have permission to use it to create mdb/mde files.

Winzip or its ilk are not permitted.  It is not possible to create a
shortcut on the desktop, shell to DOS, create ODBC connections or install
any software.  It is also not possible to email certain files nor to access
an email account from outside the offices except through Terminal Services,
with no ability to save data to a disk at a remote machine.  Only a few
laptop users have access to a floppy drive at all and it is not possible for
me to log on to the LAN with any laptop I bring on site.  Any attempt to
install any software on a laptop allowed on the system or on the terminal
server is blocked and fails.  If I want to email myself an Access
application I'm working on, I currently have to break it into several dozen
files with a few forms/reports/modules in each, rename them as doc files and
reassemble the objects into a container offsite.  This tactic does not work
with large graphic files though.  I've seen an mda at Dev's mvps.org site
that purports to do this but I'm not sure I can get it up and running in the
target environment.  For this reason I'm looking for some straight forward
File I/O code that will do the trick.

They are starting to move to A2K3 and I've converted the application but my
users cannot run it yet and they have not addressed self signing the
'macros' in Access.  When they do, the jig may be up.

Ciao
Jürgen Welz
Edmonton, Alberta
jwelz at hotmail.com