[AccessD] File Slice/Splice

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Wed May 26 17:52:16 CDT 2004

On 26 May 2004 at 10:37, Jürgen Welz wrote:

> Charlotte is correct.  The IT people see Access as a program that creates
> files just like Notepad creates files.  Since they installed Access 97, I
> have permission to use it to create mdb/mde files.
>
> Winzip or its ilk are not permitted.  It is not possible to create a
> shortcut on the desktop, shell to DOS, create ODBC connections or install
> any software.  It is also not possible to email certain files nor to access
> an email account from outside the offices except through Terminal Services,
> with no ability to save data to a disk at a remote machine.  Only a few
> laptop users have access to a floppy drive at all and it is not possible for
> me to log on to the LAN with any laptop I bring on site.  Any attempt to
> install any software on a laptop allowed on the system or on the terminal
> server is blocked and fails.  If I want to email myself an Access
> application I'm working on, I currently have to break it into several dozen
> files with a few forms/reports/modules in each, rename them as doc files and
> reassemble the objects into a container offsite.  This tactic does not work
> with large graphic files though.  I've seen an mda at Dev's mvps.org site
> that purports to do this but I'm not sure I can get it up and running in the
> target environment.  For this reason I'm looking for some straight forward
> File I/O code that will do the trick.
>
> They are starting to move to A2K3 and I've converted the application but my
> users cannot run it yet and they have not addressed self signing the
> 'macros' in Access.  When they do, the jig may be up.

Try the Pricelessware.org recommended Chainsaw.

It's a Windows app, so you don't need to get to a CLI,  but doesn't
require "installation". It's also small enough to email in to your
work account. (Just extract it from the zip and change the extension
before emailing it so that it gets past any filters that block
executables.)

http://www.schmeusser.siw.de/software/chainsaw.html

--
Lexacorp Ltd